Matching lamp shades with your furniture is key. Here are a few key points to help guide you along the way.
- Consider your lamp as an extension of your rooms furniture
- Rectangular furniture goes well with squared or angular lamp shades
- Sculptured/rounded shades go well with rounded shades
- Consider the proportions of the furniture. Is it tall, is it low and wide? You can pick a shade that complements or a shade that balances the proportions.
- Keep in mind the textures, colors, shapes that your lamp could tie into. Perhaps there's a color in the room that you want to match or contrast with.
- old vase
- pottery, wood, metal or glass
- match the furniture
- match design style of the room
- place on a sideboard
- don't interfere with the sight of artwork you may have on sideboard or mirror
- leave room in the middle of sideboard!
As long as your not looking up into the hardware, then the size is fine. Whether the lamp is a floor lamp or a table lamp, it shouldn't be so high that when you look at it, you see up the shade.